Workers’ Compensation: Work Injury and Reporting

Georgia Workers’ Compensation: Work Injury and Reporting. Employers with 3 or more employees are required to have workers’ compensation coverage. Accidents causing disabling injuries arrising out of and in the course of your employment are compensable work injuries. Report your injury orally within 30 days or in writing within 1 year of injury.

WORKERS’ COMPENSATION: Employers required to have insurance

Is my employer required to have Workers’ Compensation insurance coverage?

If your employer has 3 or more employees regularly in its service in Georgia, then the employer is subject to the act, and is required to have workers’ compensation insurance coverage. An employer may be any individual, sole proprietor, corporation, partnership, limited liability company, non-profit organization, or other entity which has employees in its hire.

WORKERS’ COMPENSATION: Injuries and disease covered by insurance

What injuries are covered? A compensable work injury is an injury by accident which arises out of and in the course of employment. The accident must result in a disabling injury. This definition is very broad but also very technical. It includes most common work site injuries. Additionally, many work related injuries and occupational diseases are also included. If you are in doubt about whether or not an injury is a compensable injury, inform your employer of the injury or consult an attorney.

WORKERS’ COMPENSATION: Reporting your injury

When do I report my injury to my employer?

Report your injury to your employer as soon as possible. If you do not know that you have been injured or if you have no reason to know of your injury, then report the injury as soon as you become aware of that you have been injured or have an occupational disease.

•· Notice can be given orally to the employer if given within 30 days of the date of the injury. After 30 days from the date of injury, you must inform your employer of the injury in writing.

•· Keep a copy of any written notice or report of injury that you give to your employer. Also keep a copy of any report of the injury that your employer makes, and of any written notice you give to the employer.

Who do I report my injury to?

Notice of your injury can be given to any agent of the employer, however, it is best to give the notice to an officer, manager, supervisor or foreman. If you give notice orally, you should immediately write yourself a note with the details of when, where and who you told about the injury.

When do I report my injury to the State Board of Workers’ Compensation?

Report your injury to the Georgia State Board of Workers’ Compensation within one (1) year of the date of the injury. You can report this to the Board by filing a Notice of Claim (Form WC-14) which can be obtained on their internet website or by contacting them on the phone. (Note: If you have received income benefits or remedial medical treatment, then this period may be extended. You should consult an attorney about whether or not the time for reporting might be extended.)

Contacting the Right Attorney:

An experienced attorney familiar with Workers’ Compensation law can help you protect your rights and can help you get the benefits you deserve. We have the knowledge, experience and skill to assist you in dealing with the process of obtaining the medical and income benefits you need when you are unable to work due to injury on the job or work-related disease . We represent workers in Workers’ Compensation injury and disease claims throughout North Georgia including Cobb County, Cherokee County, Bartow County, Floyd County, Paulding County, Fulton County and Forsyth County. Contact us today to discuss your situation and the benefits you are be entitled to receive.

Return to FAQ’s Index Contact Attorney