Workers’ Compensation: Medical Benefits

Medical Benefits available to injured workers in Georgia. Workers’ Compensation Attorney Joseph W. Segraves helping workers comp. clients throughout North Georgia including Marietta, Woodstock, Kennesaw, Acworth, Cartersville, and Canton.

Medical Benefits:

What medical benefits am I entitled to?

  • Medical Benefits. You are entitled to payment of your medical expenses for work related injuries. This includes payment of or reimbursement for:
  • Physicians; hospitals, clinics, laboratory tests, x-rays, MRI’s, surgery, out-patient treatments, nursing care, and other medically necessary procedures.
  • Prescription medications;
  • Non-prescription medications when ordered by a physician, and,
  • Travel expenses (“mileage”) to and from medical treatment.

How long am I entitled to Medical Benefits?

  • For injuries occuring prior to June 30, 2013 , you are entitled to life-time medical treatment for the on-the-job injury.
  • For injuries occuring after June 30, 2013, you are entitled to up to 400 weeks of medical treatment for the on-the-job injury.

Catastrophic Injury Medical Benefits. Certain severe injuries which result in a permanent loss of your ability to earn a living, and are classified as “catastrophic injuries” under Georgia Workers’ Compensation laws.  Medical benefits for a catastrophic injury continue for the lifetime of the injured worker, and are not subject to the 400 week limitation.

Am I entitled to rehabilitation services and job training?

  • Generally, you are not entitled to job training or rehabilitation services for non-catistropic injuries. Under some limited and special circumstances, the employer or its insurer may agree to pay for these services.
  • When the injury is determined to be a catastropic injury, then the employer is required to provide rehabilitation services to restore maximum physical function, and to restore the employee to suitable employment if possible. These services can also include modifications to a residence or to a vehicle to provide the employee with reasonable access or use.

Return to FAQ Index Contact Attorney